Monday, July 12, 2010

Henry Taylor passes...

Henry Taylor of Grain Valley,Mo. died the last part of May. Henry was one of the founding fathers of the Santa Caligon Irish Setter Club. In the 60's and 70's Henry ran red setters here in the midwest. His kennel prefix was Whirlaway. Some of his red dogs were Whirlaway Pat (Ike Jack Kendrick son), Whirlaway Chief, Johnny Popper. Henry and a gentleman by the name of D. Johnson were instrumental in bringing Ned LeGrande's red setters to our part of the country. Henry Taylor was introduced to me in 1967. My dad had told me he would pay half of a birddog pup. My research at the public library Indicated if you found Irish Setters bred for the field, there would be no equal. I bought my first red setter after a disagreement with my dad. He didn't consider the red pup a good candidate so I bought Lady on my own. A few years later I decided I wanted to raise a litter. I asked advice from my boy scout leader who field trialed. This was my first contact with Mr. Henry Taylor. This man was opinionated, sometimes rude and obnoxious. He was one of the BEST men I ever met. Henry would help anyone when asked. When I decided to break my first dog this was the man I asked for advice. When I went to my first horseback trial at Lee's Summit, MO. I rode a horse furnished by Henry. The Shepler's saddle that I ride originally belonged to Henry. The red setter fraternity lost a good one.
I will miss him.

Terry Feitz



Obituary...

Henry J. “Corky” Taylor
Posted By on June 1, 2010

Henry Julian “Corky” Taylor, 80, of Oak Grove, Missouri, passed away Monday, May 31, 2010 at Kansas City Hospice House, Kansas City, MO. Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m. Friday, June 4th at Royer Funeral Home, Grain Valley, MO; burial in Valley Memorial Gardens, Grain Valley. The family will receive friends from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Thursday, June 3rd at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Kansas City Hospice House, 12000 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO 64145.

Henry was born February 25, 1930, in Belton, Missouri, the son of Henry O. and Emma Lou (Muir) Taylor. He married Mary Carnahan in June 1950. Henry worked in the maintenance department at Sears, where he did mostly carpentry work. He retired from Sears after 37 years of service. He was active in field trials and loved bowling.

Henry is preceded in death by his parents, brother Cecil Taylor, grandson Michael Ham, and granddaughter Cheryl Ham.

His survivors include his wife of 60 years, Mary Taylor of the home; three daughters: Linda Ham & her husband, Dwayne, of St. Joseph, MO, Kathy Ward of Blue Springs, MO, Debbie Campfield & her husband, Chuck, of Elk City, KS; one son: Tim Taylor & his wife, Lisa, of Oak Grove, MO; twelve grandchildren & twenty-two great-grandchildren.

No comments:

Bearcat

Bearcat
VOTE BEARCAT FOR HALL OF FAME